63 To ... for ... and so that ... (purpose)

We use to ... to say why somebody does something (= the purpose of an action):
* 'Why did you go out?' 'To post a letter.'
* A friend of mine phoned to invite me to a party.
* We shouted to warn everybody of the danger.


We use to... to say why something exists or why somebody has/wants/needs something:
* This wall is to keep people out of the garden.
* The President has a team of bodyguards to protect him.
* I need a bottle opener to open this bottle.


We use to ... to say what can be done or must be done with something:
* It's difficult to find a place to park in the city centre. (= a place where you can park)
* Would you like something to eat?
* Have you got much work to do? (= work that you must do)
* I get lonely if there's nobody to talk to.


money/time/chance/opportunity/energy/courage etc. to (do something):
* They gave us some money to buy some food.
* Do you have much opportunity to practise your English?
* I need a few days to think about your proposal.


For ... and to ...
Compare:
* I'm going to Spain for a holiday.
but I'm going to Spain to learn Spanish. (not 'for learn Spanish', not 'for learning Spanish')


We use for + noun (for a holiday) but to + verb (to learn). Some more examples:
* What would you like for dinner?
but What would you like to eat? (not 'for eat')
* Let's go to the pool for a swim.
but Let's go to the pool to have a swim.


Note that you can say ... for (somebody) to (do something):
* There weren't any chairs for us to sit on, so we had to sit on the floor.
You can use for ~ing to say what the general purpose of a thing is. To... is also possible:
* This knife is only for cutting bread. (or ... to cut bread.)
You can use What ... for? to ask about purpose:
* What is this switch for?
* What did you do that for?


So that
Sometimes you have to use so that for purpose. We use so that (not to ...):
i) when the purpose is negative (so that ... won't/wouldn't):
* I hurried so that I wouldn't be late. (= because I didn't want to be late)
* Leave early so that you won't (or don't) miss the bus.


ii) with can and could (so that ... can/could)
* She's learning English so that she can study in Canada.
* We moved to London so that we could visit our friends more often.


iii) when one person does something so that another person does something else:
* I gave her my address so that she could contact me.
* He wore glasses and a false beard so that nobody would recognize him.



EXERCISES
63.1 Use a sentence from Box A and a sentence from Box B to make a new sentence.
A
1. I shouted
2. I had to go to the bank
3. I'm saving money
4. I went into hospital
5. I'm wearing two pullovers
6. I phoned the police station
B
I want to keep warm
I wanted to report that my car had been stolen
I want to go to Canada
I had to have an operation
I needed to get some money
I wanted to warn people of danger
1. _I shouted to warn people of the danger._
2. I had to go to the bank ---
3. I ---
4. ---
5. ---
6. ---


63.2 Complete these sentences using a suitable verb.
1. The President has a team of bodyguards _to protect_ him.
2. I didn't have enough time --- the newspaper today.
3. I came home by taxi. I didn't have the energy ---
4. 'Would you like something ---?' 'Yes, please. A cup of coffee.'
5. We need a bag --- these things in.
6. There will be a meeting next week --- the problem.
7. I wish we had enough money --- a new car.
8. I saw Helen at the party but we didn't have a chance --- to each other.
9. I need some new clothes. I haven't got anything nice ---
10. They've just passed their exams. They're having a party ---
11. I can't do all this work alone. I need somebody --- me.


63.3 Put in to or for.
1. I'm going to Spain _for_ a holiday.
2. You need a lot of experience --- this job.
3. You need a lot of experience --- do this job.
4. We'll need more time --- make a decision.
5. I went to the dentist --- a check-up.
6. I had to put on my glasses --- read the letter.
7. Do you wear glasses --- reading?
8. I wish we had a garden --- the children --- play in.


63.4 Write sentences with so that.
1. I hurried. I didn't want to be late.
I hurried so that I wouldn't be late._
2. We wore warm clothes. We didn't want to get cold.
We wore ---
3. The man spoke very slowly. He wanted me to understand what he said.
The man ---
4. I whispered. I didn't want anybody else to here our conversation.
--- nobody ---
5. Please arrive early. We want to be able to start the meeting on time.
Please ---
6. She locked the door. She didn't want to be disturbed.
---
7. I slowed down. I wanted the car behind to be able to overtake.
---

63.1

2 I had to go to the bank to get some money.

3 I'm saving money to go to Canada.

4 I went into hospital to have an operation.

5 I'm wearing two pullovers to keep warm.

6 I phoned the police station to report that my car had been stolen.

63.2

2 to read

3 to walk or to go on foot

4 to drink

5 to put I to carry

6 to discuss/to consider/to talk about

7 to buy/to get

8 to talk/to speak

9 to wear/to put on

10 to celebrate

11 to help I to assist

63.3

2 for 3 to 4 to

5 for 6 to 7 for

8 for ... to

63.4

2 We wore warm clothes so that we wouldn't get cold.

3 The man spoke very slowly so that I would understand what he said. or ... so that I could understand ...

4 I whispered so that nobody else could hear our conversation. or ... would hear our conversation.

5 Please arrive early so that we can start the meeting on time.

6 She locked the door so that she wouldn't be disturbed.

7 I slowed down so that the car behind could overtake.